Monday, November 12, 2012

Welcome and Introduction

Witam!

In December of 2010, after visiting Poland, I decided to convert my Facebook page into a personalized anthology of my favorite Polish artists. On a weekly basis I would post a variety of either 20th century or contemporary Polish artists.  Soon I was befriending contemporary Polish poster designers and gallery owners. In April of 2012, I curated an exhibition titled “PL/STL: A Celebration of Polish Poster and Visual Art 1900-Current” funded completely by myself. The exhibition focused largely on Polish poster art, but it also included an original Witkacy,  access to my personal library of Polish art books, and a weekly film series highlighting Polish experimental animation and films by Krzysztof Kieślowski, Roman Polanski, Wojciech Jerzy Has, and Piotr Uklański.  This blog will trace the artists I first posted to Facebook, but here I will aspire to add more details about the artist as I go.  Since there seems to be an almost unlimited wealth of Polish artists from 1900 to now, albeit little known in the US, I hope, in time, to add to the original list of 120+ Polish artists I first shared on Facebook.  Instead of ordering the artists alphabetically or chronologically, I will be faithful to my almost random timeline of original posts. 


Pozdrawiam!

Chris A. Smentkowski

No comments:

Post a Comment